Saturday, January 29, 2011

Shadow Play

Today's assignment from Andrew was to take a picture of shadows.   I loved it. 
This was my favorite for the day.  We were at the Old Town Artisans Galleries in downtown Tucson.  I walked out of one of the galleries into the court yard and was stunned by this metal Kokopelli statue and his "mini-me". 


Another neat picture that I captured at the galleries wasn't exactly a shadow but some backlit wind chimes.  It is so graphically stark.  I have really enjoyed the chance that this trip has provided to work on my photography and the encouragement from Andrew and Kate to begin blogging.


This is a shadow picture that I took yesterday at Tohono Chul park.  There was a rock with petroglyphs reproduced by a local artist.  I tried to locate the whorl where my heart is.  The sun, lower in the winter sky, cast a long shadow.



When you set out to look for shadows, you really are looking for things that are not there.  An additional challenge is that for most of us, they are everyday and common place.  That fact makes them easily overlooked.  I like this type of exercise.  It forces you to really open your eyes to a different way of seeing the world around you.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic shadow pictures! I especially love the backlit windchime. I do tend to overlook shadows, and yet they are some of the most fascinating things to watch and look for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The backlit wind chime photo is brilliant. You did an awesome job with this assignment. I miss you and hope you had a safe and uneventful trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! These shadow pictures rock!You took this assignment on full tilt. Two thumbs way up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful! What a glorious play of shadows! You've done a masterful job at capturing this other world that surrounds each of us!

    I love that you captured the picture of your own shadow, a self-portrait of sorts, with the spiral at the heart. The spiral is a symbol of forever, of change, and of constant motion. Ancient civilizations would mark their deities with the spiral at the heart, to show that they were creators.

    ReplyDelete